Monday, March 1, 2010

Dreaming in coral, part two: Tarocca

The next iteration of my coral obsession took shape in a flirty little ruffled sundress.  I found the most gorgeous orangey-coral twill--a soft, lightweight twill, not that stiff kind that you use for khaki pants.  (Did you know that "twill" refers to the weave, and not to the weight or body of the fabric?  There is even silk twill!  I have some, and it's beautiful!)
As soon as I saw this fabric color in person, I had my inspiration for the dress design: the color reminded me of a truly AMAZING gelato shop in Rome--whose name escapes me now, of course--that had gelato and sorbet in flavors that I'd never even imagined.  I think we went there twice a day every day we were in Rome and never had the same flavor twice!  This little shop somehow distills the purest and best flavor--whatever flavor it is--and makes it into the smoothest, creamiest iced confection you could imagine.  And this fabric was exactly the color of their blood orange sorbet--darker than grapefruit, more orange than pink--which in Italian is called tarocca.  So of course the dress had to be the Tarocca dress!  And of course it had to be 1950s-inspired, like something Audrey Hepburn would have worn in Roman Holiday.  
You know I love a little ruffle, so that was a given.  I wanted the neckline to be open but not too deep--still appropriate for a 1950's girl.  Add a full gathered skirt and a little sash to nip in the waist, and voila!  I love it!  I think this dress would be so sweet with a little cardigan...or to wear while sipping wine, sitting at a table under an awning, watching the world go by...maybe even as a bridesmaid dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment