Monday, February 8, 2010

Sweet Emmeline

The Emmeline dress has been one of my most popular and most requested designs. It all started with a light, sweet vintage-inspired dress in navy blue cotton batiste. Feminine yet tailored, with a sweet and subtle vintage allure, the Emmeline dress would have been a young lady's favorite summer dress back in the late 1930's or early 1940's: pretty and proper enough to wear to church, but with a face-framing neckline and nipped-in waist perfect for an evening with your sweetheart. Puffed sleeves, loop-over button closures, dainty mother-of-pearl buttons and a gathered ruffle at the neckline add retro charm.

As I began making the Emmeline dress for my clients, the design evolved and was refined: I added princess seaming to the bodice as an extra figure-flattering detail; I increased the number of dainty little buttons and a placket for modesty; AND I added pockets! I began making the dress in cotton poplin instead of batiste because I liked the crisp look of the poplin; the poplin is also opaque, so lining the bodice was no longer necessary. Less bulk=tinier waist=gorgeous retro hourglass silhouette!

As the weather began getting colder, I was completely enamored with warm, rich fabrics--particularly this lovely charcoal gray flannel suiting fabric. It seemed perfect for a warmer fall/winter version of the Emmeline! You can see the princess seaming detail in this photo, along with the gathered elbow-length sleeves. Vintage silver-toned filigree buttons add a perfect touch of fancy.

And finally--at last! The latest edition of our lovely Emmeline in crisp, diamond white bridal-weight cotton sateen. A softly pleated ruffle at the neckline frames the face beautifully, while the short puffed sleeves and gorgeous (and completely functional!) loop-over fabric covered buttons lend vintage charm. The nipped in waist, princess seaming and full gathered skirt fit and flatter in all the right places--perfect for combining a gorgeous hourglass silhouette with maximum comfort. The best part? Emmeline has side on-seam pockets! Absolutely perfect for outdoor weddings and for the bride with retro flair, I'll be offering the bridal Emmeline ivory and cream sateen as well. I'm so excited about this newest Emmeline that I'm thinking of making one for my wedding in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment