Friday, February 26, 2010

Blue belle

You know the saying: "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue--and a penny in my shoe!"  My brilliant customer Laura came up with a gorgeous concept for her wedding gown that incorporates the "something blue" in a unique and absolutely lovely way: she found a white cotton eyelet fabric with the most delicate hint of sky blue in the embroidery.  The result?  One of my new favorite dress designs!
Laura's original dress design concept was inspired by a dress she found on a site that I absolutely love, Thread.  The Thread design aesthetic--simple, feminine dresses in high quality fabrics at reasonable prices--hits very close to my heart!  And I have to say I love their use of seersucker--but I digress. :-)  Laura fell in love with a strapless full-length gown with a tiered ruffled skirt, but wanted the dress made in a more mermaid-style silhouette with graduated length ruffles--and of course in her size and with her sweet blue and white eyelet fabric!  I was up for the challenge.
 

Laura's finished gown came out even better than I could have expected!  We lowered the starting point of the ruffles and made the skirt a bit more fitted in order to gain the fit-and-flare shape that a mermaid gown must have.  The gown has a built-in bustier--comfortable and secure, and so much more convenient than wearing a separate strapless bra!  I ended up doing an interlining in the skirt and organza underlining in the ruffles to achieve the mermaid shape at the bottom of the skirt.  Sooooo pretty!  Laura tells me that she's having a little blue shrug sweater made to match the dress, which will be just the perfect accent to this sweet dress.  I can't wait to see the whole ensemble all put together!  Congratulations and best wishes, Laura!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rebecca! I LOVE this dress. Right now I am wishing to have another wedding with a custom gown made by you (do you think Derrick will go for that?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aly! I'm sure we could think of a reason for you to have a new fancy dress... :-)

    ReplyDelete