Friday, April 9, 2010

J. Crew Sascha gown reproduction

I'm always excited to share a new creation, and here's a really fun one!  Fans of the J. Crew wedding collection will recognize this design as a reproduction of the Sascha gown, a gorgeous and unique modified sweetheart dress in silk taffeta with intricate seaming details in the bodice and a dramatic taffeta flower at the waist.

A sweet bride named Bethany contacted me via Etsy several months ago looking for her own version of the Sascha dress in a less expensive fabric, and I was happy to oblige!  We found a really lovely champagne poly taffeta that looks so much like silk taffeta--we got super lucky.  The flash from the camera makes the taffeta look shiny, but it is soooo amazing in person...just light and lustrous and radiant.  Once the fabric was found, it was time to figure out the details. 

It was such fun to make this dress--I am in love with the seaming detail that adds shape and emphasis to the curves of the bodice.  And of course the gorgeous flower!  I may be a bit obsessed with making flowers now...Wouldn't corsages like this at the waist be so sweet for bridesmaids?  For that matter, I could totally see a shorter version of this dress as a bridesmaid dress as well!

Of course we had to have the delicate fabric-covered buttons up the back of the dress!  Just the perfect finishing touch.  This dress was a delight to make, and I'm hoping I'll have photos of the happy bride in her fabulous gown to share with all of you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment